So you're setting your New Year's resolutions and you're thinking about how you could lower your carbon footprint in 2022? We have some fun ways that you can include sustainability into this year's list.
1. Buy fruit and veg from local markets, and pick the things that are in season. This means they likely had to travel less far, and created less CO2 getting to you.
2. Use a carbon calculator to identify your carbon footprint so that you can pinpoint key areas you could make a difference in your impact on the planet.
3. Use tools like SKOOT to offset your carbon and plant trees. When you support these initiatives you are often doing more than making the planet greener, you are also helping uplift communities.
4. If you don't already, start recycling and reusing things where you can. For example instead of throwing away a jam jar you could repurpose it to make overnight oats or to grow plants from seedlings!
5. Get your green fingers moving - try growing some plants, herbs, fruits and veg of your own! We know it's harder in the UK but there are options to suite different seasons in the year. Plus they taste so full of flavour when you grow them yourselves.
6. Buy less things you don't need. Go to the store with a list and get what's on it. When you do go shopping take a reusable bag.
7. Support more sustainable brands and avoid single use or poor quality as much as possible. If you can shop second hand, do. If you can borrow something rather than buying it, why not? You'll save money too.
8. Do you think you could go plant-based? If you said yes then well done you but if you said no then what about just for a day? Or introducing more plant-based ingredients into your diet. According to USwitch (2021) if everyone in the UK gave up meat in January we would collectively save 4.87 billion kgs of CO2 this year alone! 👀
9. Make a change to your commute - rather than driving in a car that often only has one person in it could, could you try an alternative like carpooling, walking or cycling to your destination? And offset all your journeys by planting a tree with SKOOT? 🌳
10. When you visit a store, restaurant, hotel, or other venue and you think they could be doing better for the planet don't be afraid to point it out to them. Try writing them an email or review asking them to try sustainable alternatives. SKOOT's social team recently spoke to a gym about changing the length of time the automatic taps run for!
11. On that note, conserve more water - water shortages are such a big issue across the world and although it can often feel like an unlimited resource when you can just switch on the tap and water comes out, it is not. Can you have shorter showers? Turn off the tap when you are brushing your teeth, not fill a whole sink with water just to wash one dish?
Making eco-friendly choices during the year is actually easier than you might think. It's all about making a conscious effort. Replacing behaviours with others that are kinder to the planet will be so well received by Mother Nature. Many of them will make you a happier and healthier person too. It's a win-win.
If you want to find out how you or your business can use SKOOT to have a more sustainable 2022, get in touch [email protected]
Be the first to know about our recent climate projects and the latest sustainability tips